Friday, December 25, 2009

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

memtest86 and 4Gb RAM

Posted: 25 Dec 2009 10:58 PM PST

The computer had some unusual problems, so a memory test was an obvious test.

I ran my usual memory test: memtest86

But when I ran the test, the computer would immediately reset.

After running a different memory test (with no fault found), I eventually realised that the fault was not with the RAM, it was with memtest86.

After some research, I found that running a 32-bit application (like memtest86), meant that there is scope for potential problems, as 32-bit applications can only address 4Gb, so at the limits of RAM, its possible for errors to cause problems.

So from now on, I’ll be careful about testing Ram of 4Gb or more.

Related posts:

  1. strange PC startup problems
  2. Tips To Prevent DLL Errors
  3. usb tv tuner problems (dvb-t) part 3: be careful when buying from BXXXXXXX

0 comments: