Friday, December 4, 2009

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Cannot get channel 13 wifi (802.11) on wm6

Posted: 04 Dec 2009 10:15 PM PST

I had an unusual situation, where my Wm6 phone (htc touch 3g) would not connect to a wifi router (802.11G) that was set to channel 13.

I’m in Australia, so I should be able to use channels 1 – 13.

Whats unusual, is that an Asus eee laptop would find and connect to the wifi, but my phone wouldn’t, and a PC with a wifi usb adapter also wouldn’t.

The solution was to simply change the Wifi router channel to something in the range of 1 – 11.

But that made me curious: Why couldn’t my (quite new) phone connect to channel 13?

I know my timezone and geographic regions are set to Australia, yet the phone cannot see channel 13.

My next step was to do an internet search for a way to “enable” access to channels 12 and 13.

But it seems that there are a few other people out there, with similar problems, but nobody with any solutions.

I did a quick search for some obvious registry settings (80211, region, wifi, etc), but nothing useful.

Unless someone out there has an answer, it seems like wifi on the Windows mobile platform (version 6.1) cannot support wifi channels 12 and 13.

Related posts:

  1. wireless (wifi 802.11) network interference
  2. WiFi (802.11G/N) signal strength
  3. wireless interference and GlobeSurfer II wifi setup

0 comments: