Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

HP A220a PC won’t start

Posted: 03 Mar 2010 10:52 PM PST

I was working on a HP Pavillion A220a PC (removing an infection). I got to the point where I decided to stop for the day, and continue “tomorrow”.

So, the next day, I go to start up the PC, and nothing happens.

I look carefully, and I notice that if I plug in the power cord, it will seen to start (light on & fans spin) for about 2 seconds, and then everything stops.

I know many PCs will do a “test spin” of the fans when power is applied, so it seemed normal.

I replace the power supply, but I get the same problem.

I unplug everything I can (HDD, DVD, PCI modem card, front USB, but still no go.

Next, I re-seat the RAM, but that doesn’t help.

I swap some RAM around, but it doesn’t seem like a RAM issue.

I clean the CPU fan & check that the CPU & heatsink are making good contact, but that doesn’t help either

I’m starting to run out of ideas.

I look at the troubleshooting section of the HP website, and one suggestion is to unplug the front panel wires (unlabelled, and all in one plastic block), and check the wire that goes to the front power switch.

I don’t like the idea of having to pull off the front panel, just to find out which pair of wires belong to the power switch… but I have no other choice.

After taking the front panel off, I eventually find that the spring in the power switch is broken (so the switch remains in the “on” position)… so I replace the switch… not an easy task.

And finally I can continue where I left off the night before!

Grrr

Related posts:

  1. Faulty power button
  2. thinkpad T42 will not start
  3. shipped PC won’t start

0 comments: