Monday, June 21, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Windows 7 forgets workgroup network share password

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 11:24 PM PDT

I put a new Windows 7 PC (W7 pro, 32-bit), on my network.

Since my main PC is uses XP and network drives are shared using XP workgroup sharing, then I adjusted the W7 PC to join the same workgroup.

I then map a shared drive. As expected, I’m asked to supply username and password, and I tick the box that says remember my credentials.

Everything works fine until I restart the W7 PC, then it forgets the network share password, and I need to re-enter it.

After this happens a few times, I eventually decide to find a solution.

One suggestion is to use the full username (ie computername\username), but that didn’t work (although it might work computers in networks with Domain servers).

I eventually find the solution by following this sequence:

Control Panel -> Credential Manager -> pick the username and/or server that refuses to get remembered, then click “edit”, and replace the domain name with the name of the computer / server that you are connecting to, then click save.

Logoff, then login again

Ignore the “cannot reconnect network drive error”

Reopen credential manager, and note that the credential you are interested in, is not there anymore.

Now re-connect to the network drive (re-enter the username and password), then switch back to credential manager, click: “add a windows credential” -> enter server name, user name, password, then save.

Note that the credential details say that the credential has a persistence of: enterprise

Now when I restart the W7 PC, it remembers the password.

It seems like Microsoft no longer care about non-W7 users…

Related posts:

  1. Vista cannot see network shares
  2. cannot connect to windows XP folder share
  3. linux as a file and print server to Vista PCs

0 comments: