Monday, May 23, 2011

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

xp repair install, light blue screen, and only mouse pointer works

Posted: 22 May 2011 11:07 PM PDT

After getting a corrupted PC, I found myself needing to do a repair install of windows XP.

Everything proceeded normally, but after the final reboot, I get the normal XP logo with a rolling bar at the bottom, and then a light blue screen, and then nothing.

After a minute, I move the mouse pointer, and it works normally.

I then try Ctrl-ALt-Del, but nothing happens.

Next, I try starting in safe mode, and that works.

I soon find that windows wants to activate, so I start XP in safe mode (with networking), in the hopes I can then activate in, and then start windows normally.

Alas, XP refuses to activate in any for of safe mode… only normal mode will do.

But I do find that that I can disable the automatic activation, which then lets me boot normally, after which I just need to re-enter the windows product key, and then (at long last), activate the stubborn XP system.

Details:

  • Start in Safe mode
  • Run regedit
  • navigate to: HKLM -> software -> microsoft -> windows nt -> currentVersion -> WPAEvents
  • Now change the oobetimer entry by 1 digit (eg change the last hex key from fd to ab)
  • Once you commit the change to the registry, close regedit, and restart the PC

You can now re-enter the product key and activate normally

Related posts:

  1. repair install of XP (SP2 or SP3) without uninstalling IE7
  2. error 1327 and 1324 after a repair install of xp
  3. brief XP blue screen, then reset

0 comments: