Monday, May 16, 2011

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

ie8 won’t run and triggers DEP (sweetIM problem)

Posted: 15 May 2011 11:45 PM PDT

A windows XP system suddenly stopped running ie8.

I tried chrome, and that worked normally.

IE8 would just display an error about DEP (Data Execution Prevention), and then shut down.

I tried disabling the IE8 DEP system, but then I’d get a generic ie8 error.

running ie8 in its “no add-on” mode also didn’t help.

I went into internet options and reset it back to “factory defaults”, but still no go.

I disabled known bad add-ons like the alot toolbar, but still no go.
I eventually started uninstalling the disabled add-ons (eg alot), but nothing would get ie8 to work normally.

At this stage, I was stumped, but I decided to browse through the XP add/remove programs list, and started to remove applications that were not being used.

I uninstalled a lot of junk, but I eventually found that uninstalling sweetIM fixed the problem with IE8

I find this unusual, as sweetIM wasn’t part of the IE addons, yet it must be using IE “under the covers”… so once it corrupted something, then IE stopped working.

Related posts:

  1. PC microphone wont work (failed sound circuit)
  2. Steps To Completely Uninstall Programs From Your PC
  3. alot toolbar problems

0 comments: