Monday, October 18, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

xp share is not accessible. Access is denied

Posted: 17 Oct 2010 11:11 PM PDT

To this day, I still find that the way Microsoft implements network folder sharing is full of mysteries.

In this case, I had an office setup with about 4 PCs (all running XP)

One PC was acting as a “file server”, and it was sharing a folder for everyones common use… so far, its all straightforward.

I’m asked to get a 5th PC (also XP) working and using the shared drive.

Hey, I’ve done this lots of times, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I make sure the new PC is part of the same workgroup, restart, then in win explorer, I go to:

My Network Places -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> WorkgroupName -> ServerName

But as soon as I click on ServerName, I get the error: ServerName is not accessible. Access is denied.

OK, I go through the usual range of troubleshooting options:

  • disable firewalls
  • create a new share
  • check user permissions on the share
  • create an “everyone” user and give it full access
  • make sure the “computer browser” and “server” services are running
  • ipconfig /flushdns

After a while, I decide to look at a PC that is able to see the shared drive… but it also gives the “access is denied” error… yet it is able to read and write files on the shared Z: drive…

Weird, yet that gives me a clue on how to fix it:

On the new PC, I open a command prompt and type:

net use z: \\ServerName\ShareName /persistent:yes

And that works!

Z: allows the user to access the shared drive just like everyone else.

Why? I’m really not sure, but its good to know there is a “back door” to fixing this!

Related posts:

  1. vista: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied
  2. wordpress and smf ‘access denied’ ‘wrong username/password’ while connecting to mysql
  3. Stupid HP share-to-web upload folder (and how to remove)

0 comments: