Monday, October 4, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

xp stops at isapnp.sys

Posted: 03 Oct 2010 11:55 PM PDT

This large Dell PC (running one of the first Xeons that became the core2 duos), wasn’t starting.

I tried safe mode, and it would run through various drivers, and just suddenly stop at isapnp.sys

After a few minutes, I decide to try booting from my UBCD4Win CD, and run a chkdsk… but it finds no fault with the disk.

Next, I take a bit of a look around the internet, and I soon find that the problem isn’t with isapnp.sys, but with the file thats loaded after isapnp.sys…

So how do I find out the file thats next.

It seems there is no simple answer.

However, I did manage to find a simple solution:

After booting from UBCD4Win (again), I go to windows\system32\drivers

I then view the files in “detail mode” (ie each file is shown on a seperate line, with a size and date for each).

I then sort the whole folder by size (usually by clicking on the word “size” of the size column

I then notice that there is 1 file (sgeqcx.sys) that has a size of 0 bytes.

Since there is no was that this folder should have zero length files, I know that thats the problem.

I delete sgeqcx.sys, knowing the “good” version will be copied into place by system resore.

Sure enough, the PC boots normally, and everything is back to normal.

PS: a few days later, the same customer calls again, saying he has a very similar problem.

At this point, we both agree that the computer is dying, and needs to be replaced before any serious damage is done to the data.

So: if you have this problem happen more than once, within a week or two, then I suggest you stop using the computer, and get a new one ASAP.

Related posts:

  1. Mouse stops working (code 32)

0 comments: