Friday, May 21, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Windows 7, Vodafone K3765, This installation package could not be opened

Posted: 20 May 2010 11:08 PM PDT

This PC is an i3 Medion PC, running windows 7.

The PC got infected, but the infection was removed before I got it.

The problem was that the Vodafone USB 3G modem (K3765) would not work.

OK, do the full windows updates, then download the latest Vodafone software.

But when I run the Vodafone software, I get the error:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists, etc etc.

I take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236597

I try Method 2, download the windows installer, but when I try to run it, I get:

Setup error: Not enough storage is available to process this command.

What? 3Gb RAM and over 300Gb of free disk space… this doesn’t sound right.

Next, I try to get the installer to run by editing the registry:

HKLM\system\current control set\control\filesystem\ntfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

I change the value from 2 to 0

I also make sure the windows installer service is started and set to run automatically.

But it still doesn’t work, so I abandon this avenue and try to download the Vodafone software again (in case it got corrupt during the download), but still no go.

Since this is a 2 week-old PC, and the customer has no important data on it, we agree that a clean-install of Windows 7 is the best way forward.

The install works perfectly, as does the Vodafone software.

Its very rare for me to see an infection cause such strange damage to a windows system.

I’ll need to wait and see if this is a common occurrence with Windows 7.

Related posts:

  1. Vodafone RAS error code 619 on E220 modem
  2. straightforward installation… (boot order and corrupt bios settings)
  3. file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

wait 20 minutes before the power button will work

Posted: 17 May 2010 11:52 PM PDT

I worked on a very unusual PC:

As soon as I plug mains power into the PC, the power button would not start the PC until I waited for about 20 minutes, and then the PC would start normally.

Ok, looks like a faulty power supply… I replace it with a new standard 680 Watt PSU… The PC seems to start immediately, but I hear strange crackling sounds from the power supply… sound like its struggling to supply enough power.

And the PC just crashes after just 2 minutes.

Fine, I’ll use a 860 Watt PSU. That works a bit better, but it still makes crackling sounds and still crashes, or sometimes it just refuses to start.

At this point, I’m suspecting the video card (an inno 3d 7300GT DDR2), as it needs external power (from the PSU), but when I replace it with a low-power video card, I get similar problems…

I try to test the RAM, but the system doesn’t stay up long enough to run memtest.

I unplug the HDD and the 2 DVD drives, the floppy, remove the sound card and the dial-up modem… and now the PC starts normally.

After a careful process of elimination, I track the problem to one of the DVD drives…

It seems that one DVD drive is faulty (maybe an internal electrical short circuit), such that id draws a large amount of electrical current from the PSU… so much that the rest of the system is affected.

The strange thing is that even when I remove the faulty DVD drive, the original PSU (and my new 680 Watt unit) is still not able to run the system correctly.

In the end, considering the time taken, the cost of a new DVD drive and PSU, the customer decides that its not worth fixing, and will buy a new PC instead.

Related posts:

  1. Faulty power button
  2. Fast video cards: watch your power supply.
  3. shorting HDDs and power supplies

0 comments: