Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Blank Windows 7 Libraries

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 10:17 PM PST

This is a PC running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

But I’m seeing some very strange problems:

when windows starts, I see windows with the following errors:

  • gfxui has stopped working.
  • Desktop gadgets: settings.ini is being used by another process.
  • Firefox no longer starts.
  • Some of the applications pinned to the taskbar will display blank icons.
  • In windows explorer, the Libraries folder is blank.
  • Its difficult to get to the Documents, Music and Videos folders.
  • The windows “search” box/bar has disappeared.
  • Sound had stopped working a few months prior… fixed by installing a new sound card

Since this is a 6 month old system that I supplied, I need to find a solution, or find a hardware fault so that I can return the PC for a warranty repair.

The first thing I do is check for faulty sound.

I plug in a new HDD, and install Win 7. Once Win7 is running, the sound works normally.

Oh well, there goes my chance for a warranty repair.

As usual, I have built a good quality PC that just won’t die.

So its now looking like a problem with Windows 7.

I try a system restore to 1 month earlier, but after 1 hour, I decide It isn’t going to work…

I try sfc /scannow, but doesn’t fix anything.

All I can think of, is that the PC had a very difficult to diagnose RAM fault during its first few days of life.

In attempting to diagnose the fault, I did all sorts of tests, even disabling .net framework.

So, although the RAM fault has been fixed, there are some lingering registry problems that are gradually getting worse.

I realise I now have 2 options left:

  • Repair install of windows 7
  • Wipe the HDD and install a fresh Windows 7

I decide to try the repair install.

The first step is to start windows 7 normally, then insert the W7 Disc, then allow the autorun to start setup.exe

I Allow W7 to install available updates, then select the upgrade option.

The rest if quite simple, and once complete, I use the Intel driver CD to install any drivers that were missed in the re-install.

After all that, I ran all sorts of tests, and could not get any problems (from event viewer nor from my own use of the system).

At the moment, I’d say the problem is fixed, but in the back of my mind, I’m worried that if the registry is still “broken”, then other problems might surface.

Related posts:

  1. windows 7 memory diagnostics tool works better than memtest86+
  2. Faulty RAM?
  3. blank monitor

0 comments: