Monday, November 29, 2010

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Migrating from Microsoft Outlook to Outlook 2010 on Windows 7

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 10:35 PM PST

Ah, the joys of an “improved” (ie rearranged) file system.

I recently transferred data (documents etc) from a Vista system to windows 7.

It was easy, and W7 was even smart enough to notice that I was copying pictures and videos, and offered to copy then to the “new and improved” pictures and videos folders.

But with outlook, I needed to do a bit more digging.

Usually, its quite simple:

On XP, I get the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\{user account}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

or on Vista I get:

c:\Users\{user account}\Documents\Outlook\Outlook.pst

and then I copy them to the correct place on the destination PC.

But now Office 2010 (and the associated Outlook 2010) has decided to change folders again (and to change the name of the PST file as well…)

So, for Outlook 2010, I need to copy the PST file to the following location:

C:\Users\{user account}\Documents\Outlook Files\user@domain.com.pst

Note how the pst file now reflects the emails address of the user account… it seems strange at first, then I think: maybe it makes some sense… but then I think: if someone changes their email address, will the file name change accordingly? I suspect not.

Related posts:

  1. Cannot start Microsoft office outlook. Outlook cannot open the outlook window
  2. moving microsoft outlook to a new PC
  3. Microsoft Visual C++ … Runtime Error. outlook.exe

0 comments: