Friday, July 29, 2011

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

Web Traffic Control: a good way to monetise your blog?

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 11:47 PM PDT

I recently got an email about how to earn up to $750 per month via webtrafficcontrol.com

The email says it normally costs $50 to join, but they have reserved 250 “free” spots for blogorama users…

They offer to write a targeted blog post, and also pay you for each post… And it gets even better: they will place the articles directly into my wordpress blog.

It seemed like a great way to monetise my blog with a minimum of effort.

So I decided to create an account and get things started.

Everything went well until I got to the point where I needed to create a wordpress user for web traffic control…

Their website says the user I create must be an “editor” account.

Since I hardly ever create wordpress users, I decided to find out what an editor can do:

Editor: delete_others_pages, delete_others_posts, delete_pages, delete_posts, delete_private_pages, delete_private_posts, delete_published_pages, delete_published_posts, edit_others_pages, edit_others_posts, edit_pages, edit_posts, edit_private_pages, edit_private_posts, edit_published_pages, edit_published_posts, manage_categories, manage_links, moderate_comments, publish_pages, publish_posts, read, read_private_pages, read_private_posts, unfiltered_html, upload_files.

Now, thats just 1 step short of full administrator access.

As a comparison, the next step down (and my preferred option) is:

Author: delete_posts, delete_published_posts, edit_posts, edit_published_posts, publish_posts, read, upload_files

ie, an author can create blogs, alter them, and submit them to me for publishing… and cannot alter other posts, nor look at private posts and pages, nor alter comments.

Now, I have put a lot of my time and effort into my blog, and although others probably don’t mind giving editor access to an unknown company, I’m very reluctant to give that access to anyone I have not met (and know) personally.

So what do I do?

I send off a support ticket, hoping that they can still do what they need with an author account (I figure: why not? the interface should still work in a similar way).

They reply saying that they need editor access in order to create new categories.

They also say that I can trust them, and that I still have control over the content I receive.

 

So my decision is: No

If I still have control, then they can ask me to create the categories.

Or even better: just use one generic category that I create for them.

I just cannot hand over the keys to my entire blog… Its just not worth the kind of money that I’ll be earning via this method.

Related posts:

  1. Growth in Computer Aid web traffic (and visitors) via SEO
  2. Is blog comment spam declining?
  3. Computer Aid blog outage

0 comments: