Monday, September 17, 2012

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

android imei problems and how to change imei

Posted: 16 Sep 2012 11:15 PM PDT

I imported a dual-SIM android phone, which then started to behave strangely when a SIM card got inserted into either of the SIM slots.

When I’d try to make a call with a few different SIM cards, I’d either get the message:

No SIM or SIM error

or

Restricted access changed

After some digging around, I found that entering the number *#06# should display the IMEI for the phone… but instead, I got:

IMEI1: Invalid

IMEI2: Invalid

So I decided that it was possible that the phone had two “changed” IMEI numbers, so I would see about changing them back to the numbers on the back of the phone.

While researching this, I found that it is illegal (apparently) to change IMEI numbers.

But I figured:

I’m only going to use numbers that I know belong to me, and I won’t try any other numbers… and its worth trying before I have to ship the damned thing all the way back to china for a replacement.

First of all, the phone needs to be “rooted”

Second, you need to do install a linux command prompt

Then, you need to do the following (assuming you want to use an IMEI of “123456789012345″):

echo ‘AT+EGMR=1,7,”123456789012345″‘>/dev/pttycmd1

This will change the IMEI for SIM1

To change the IMEI for SIM2:

echo ‘AT+EGMR=1,10,”123456789012345″‘>/dev/pttycmd1

Just remember: Only do this with numbers you know are yours for certain (eg from an old phone you are about to throw away). If you try anything else, you might get into a lot of trouble.

In my case, using the phones original IMEI numbers did not help, yet using the IMEI from another phone worked perfectly.

So it looks like the manufacturer somehow mucked up their numbers, and the phone is going back -(

Related posts:

  1. how to change languages on android 4.0 I’m slowly populating my new website (No Nonsense Computers), with...
  2. Android phone error: Restriced access changed I’ve recently changed my mobile to a dual sim android...
  3. Save Money and Go Green with Your Mobile By changing a few ways in which you use your...

0 comments: