Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

problems with old SATA drives

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 10:52 PM PST

A client wanted a larger HDD. The MB had both IDE and SATA and looking at the prices of each, the SATA was 1/2 the price

I purchased a 320gb and cloned his old one over (I found the jumper on the drive) but it seemed suddenly very slow

I did some benchmarks on the old 5400 rpm IDE drive and the new 7200rpm SATA and the SATA was crap

I came to the conclusion that the MoBo was very early generation SATA and just didn’t like the new one, even with the jumper changed

I had to bite the bullet and purchase a 320gb IDE (cost? Ouch) LOL

The performance now was good

It was only last week (6 months later) that I found a home for the 320gb Sata and it was fine

Interestingly the drive had a 3 yr guarantee while current stock is only 2 years and cost double what I paid (due to the Thailand floods) so the client was still on the right side of the deal

Related posts:

  1. Installing XP onto SATA hard drive What sounds like a simple task can sometime end up...
  2. SATA support for A7VBX-LA motherboard? No I recently wanted to fit a new SATA drive into...
  3. Dust on SATA plug A business client I had dealt with previously, called to...

0 comments: