Thursday, January 12, 2012

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

barrys plumbing and electrical (why yell123.com sucks)

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 02:37 PM PST

I got a spam text message on my phone yesterday.

It said:

Barrys Plumbing and Electrical, 24 hour service, work done quickly and cheaply. Ph 1800 350 079. sms STOP to 0447174014 to OPT OUT. Number Ex Yell123

Since I really don’t like spam SMS, and I also don’t like spending money on a (possibly) expensive SMS in order to opt out of something I shouldn’t be getting in the first place, then I decided to annoy the annoying people at yell123

I simply wrote an email to: data@yell123.com which said:

OPT OUT the following numbers:
0402 133 xxx
0435 467 xxx
0404 579 xxx

Obviously I’m not going to show the actual phone numbers in this post.

So what happens?

The next day, Yell123 decides to send me the same spam message again

So I send the same email back to them again.

I can keep doing this for as long as they can.

I also urge anyone else who got this message to: send yell123 a daily email asking them to opt them out.

The way I see it is:

If I send the opt out message via SMS, then they probably have an automated computer program to (possibly) remove you from their database… so it doesn’t cost them anything.

But sending them an email, means that it doesn’t cost ME anything, but they need to employ someone to process the emails they receive.

 

Either yell123 stop spamming, or they implement a free method to opt out of this garbage.

And a message to the owners of barrys plumbing: dump yell123 … any short-term gain you get in business will not help you in the long term, given the damage in your reputation thats caused by this type of spamming.

Related posts:

  1. viadeo: please remove me from your mailing list I seem to have the most fun when new web2.0 social...
  2. spambayes helps eliminate email spam In my fight against email spam, I have tried my...
  3. why do some people get this blog emailed? Soon after I first created this blog, I also connected...

0 comments: