Sunday, November 20, 2011

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Melbourne Brisbane Computer Repairs, Website design & SEO

Link to Computer Help

system fix infection and missing icons on Windows 7

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 10:29 PM PST

I helped someone remove a fake antivirus called: System Fix

Fairly straightforward on an XP computer.

But the next day, my own Windows 7 PC got the same infection… but it seems a bit more difficult on Windows 7. Besides the warnings about disk corruption (which seemed genuine… I started to wonder about by drive failing… even though it was only 6 months old), I also developed other problems later.

It seems like it got in via a realistic-looking adobe reader update… We get so many adobe updates (it feels like they happen every day)… so its easy to just quickly click on the button that says: “yeah, sure, do your silly update and stop annoying me”.

Removing System Fix using MalwareBytes (while in safe mode), was easy, but after restarting the PC, I got all sorts of other problems:

  • All my start menu icons, desktop icons, were missing
  • The icons in the right-hand taskbar were no longer being hidden
  • The “pinned” icons on the left of the task bar were missing
  • I was getting a strange .net error at startup
  • Some desktop gadgets were missing.
  • resizing an internal window in event views would generate an MMC snap-in error

I soon figured it was the aftermath of the infection… and the solution is meant to be easy: all the icons, etc are hidden in a windows temp folder.

However: Since I don’t like the useless accumulation of temp files (which Microsoft still refuses to address as a real problem), I’m currently using CCleaner to automatically clear the contents of my temp folders… so there go my icons.

Ah, but a system restore should bring them back!

Darn! It seems System Fix also cleared out all system restore points!

But I still have a fall-back: Every week, I automatically copy my whole drive to a second drive in my PC… so my icons should be on my D: drive!

So, after a lot of digging around in folders I didn’t know existed (wow MS has changed the folder structure of Windows 7!), I managed to restore most things (although I had to cheat, since the pinned icons need a proper registry entry… but I got around that my just dragging the “pinned” shortcuts from their original folder, directly to the taskbar… thus creating a correct “pin”).

Many other items were restored quite simply… eg:

The start menu items: right-click on a blank part of the task bar -> properties -> start menu -> Privacy -> tick both “store and display recently opened…”. Then on the same window: customise… -> use default settings -> OK -> OK

The right-side task bar icons were restored to their original state (ie hiding some icons like the action centre) by right-clicking on a blank part of the task bar -> properties -> task bar -> Notification Area -> customise… -> untick: “always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar” -> OK

Next was to fix the .net error?

I tried the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool, and then re-installed .net, but that din’t help at all.

After looking closely at the error (and scrolling the non-resizeable error dialog box (using cursor keys!)), I could see that there was a permission problem with a file near:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft

After checking with another Windows 7 system, I realised that all folders/files under the Microsoft folder were marked as hidden (and they shouldn’t be).

So I make all folders/files below that “un-hidden”.

That fixed the resizing event viewer problem, and the missing desktop gadgets.

Back to normal (at last).

It took a few hours to fix up all the “little” problems caused by all the settings and permission changes that this nasty little thing did -(

Related posts:

  1. file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
  2. Blank Windows 7 Libraries
  3. Windows still doesn’t clean up its temp files

0 comments: